Brief summary of the Symposium
The objective of the 6th International Symposium of the European Water Resources Association, co-organized with the Department of Civil and Enviromental Engineering of Catania University and with the Italian Hydrotechnical Association, is to provide an open forum for analyzing the main challenges for an effective water resources management, also able to adapt to climate change impacts. Particular emphasis will be devoted to the developments in the application of EU policies on water resources management (i.e. Water Framework Directive 2000/60, Floods Directive 2007/60 and Water Scarcity and Droughts Strategy), as well as to the latest advancements in water engineering all over the world.
Selected papers will be included in a special issue of the journal Water Resources Management published by Springer. Selected papers will be also included in the journals European Water and Water Utilities Journal published by E.W. Publications.
Sections of the Symposium
• Section A "Water resources management"
- Evaluation of implementation of the EU Directives 2000/60 and 2007/60
• Section B "Scientific Advances"
- Advanced models and methods to improve the understanding and mitigation of hydrological extreme events
- Recent approaches and tools for water resources management under global change
- Technological and management innovations for water services
• Section C "Specialised workshops"
- Water quality, desalination and non-conventional water resources
- Climate change, extreme events and water security
- Water systems efficiency
- Energy and technology
Further information is available at: www.ewra2011.dica.unict.it